Kenya - Private Safari 2025
Letters correspond to points on the map in the map tab.
Letters correspond to points on the map in the map tab.
Day 01 - August 13:Arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International airport in Nairobi and transfer to your hotel.Overnight The GIRAFFE MANOR (D - Inclusive of selected beverages)
Day 02 - August 14:Giraffe Manor is a very special boutique hotel in the Karen District of Nairobi. It has been referred to as “the most unforgettable bucket-list breakfast in the world”. When you are there, you will see why! This will be the first of several extraordinary wildlife encounters on this trip. Giraffe Manor is situated on 12 acres of private land within 140 acres of indigenous forest. Staying here is a quintessential African experience. Here you will learn about endangered Rothchild giraffes.After our breakfast, we will visit the Karen Blixen Museum and do some shopping (if time allows) before returning to the Manor for a delicious lunch. If time allows after lunch, we can continue our shopping before our private visit at the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. The SWT closes to the public to allow only our group to interact with their Wild Focus adopted elephant calves. Each of you will have your own dossier on the tiny elephant calf that you have adopted. You will get to play with your calf and learn about these miracle “babies”and their battle to survive.Overnight The GIRAFFE MANOR (B,L,D - Inclusive of selected beverages)
Day 02 - August 14:
Day 03 - August 15:We will breakfast with the giraffes one last time. Please do prepare for check-out during this period. Transfer to the Wilson Airport will follow check-out and we will board our private charter flight to an area of Kenya surrounded by three wildlife reserves. Our flight will allow us wonderful views of majestic Mount Kenya.After we check in to our lodge and have lunch, we will have a bit of time to relax before we embark on our first game drive in Solio Ranch, home to black and white rhinos!Overnight ELEWANA LEWA SAFARI CAMP (B,L,D)
Days 04/05 - August 16/17:We will have two full days to explore the reserves in the area including Solio Ranch, home to black and white rhinos. We will wake up each morning and see what the day offers! After morning game drives, we will return to our camp for lunch and some relaxation. In the mid-afternoon, we will meet for tea/coffee and depart for our evening game drive to see what Africa has to offer!Overnight ELEWANA LEWA SAFARI CAMP (B,L,D)
Days 04/05 - August 16/17:
Day 06 - August 18:After our morning game drive and breakfast immediately following, we will make our way to the airstrip for our direct charter flight to Ithumba. Upon reaching Ithumba, we will be transferred to our lodge in time for lunch. We have a few hours to rest before our late afternoon first visit to the elephant stockade at 1730 hrs. Ithumba was established in 2004 and has become one of the most successful elephant reintegration units in the world. Dozens of orphaned elephants have found their way back into the “trunks” of loving herds in the wild from here. Ithumba is located in the northern-most section of Tsavo East, a pristine land untouched by humans. It has become a hub for wild elephants in the north and many herds come through Ithumba on a daily basis - perhaps looking for young recruits to their wild family. Our next two days will be filled with wonder, gratitude, awe and even love as we watch the interaction between these sub-adults calves and their keepers. This is one unique and rare example of how humans “can” get it right - and it’s pure joy to see.Overnight ITHUMBA HILL CAMP (B,L,D)
Days 07/08 - August 19-20:We will have a driver and vehicle at our disposal for the next two days. Our days will look like this:
- 0545 hrs - departure to the stockade to arrive by 0600 hrs. During this time, the calves will be fed by their keepers which will take approximately 2 hrs.
- 0800 hrs - return to camp for breakfast
- 1030 hrs - Depart for the mud bath location where we will be able to experience the pure joy of a mud bath (you are welcome to join of course!). Here, it is possible to find up to 100 calves, some of whom have left for the wild but keep returning from time to time to visit their friends who are not ready to leave yet!
- 1300 hrs - lunch at our lodge
- Spend the afternoon resting until approximately 1730 hrs when we depart again for the stockade. We will arrive before the calves finish their exploration of the forest and wait for their return. Overnight ITHUMBA HILL CAMP (B,L,D)
Days 07/08 - August 19-20:
Day 09 - August 21:After our last stockade visit, we must say “goodbye” to the elephant calves and enjoy our last breakfast at Ithumba. We depart by road to the central part of Tsavo East enjoying a game drive as we go. The drive time will take approximately 5 hrs within the park and we will arrive in time for lunch. After a short rest, we will have our first Tsavo game drive to see what we can find!Overnight SATAO CAMP (B,L,D)
Days 10/11 - August 22/23We will have two full days with unlimited game drives available. It was here, in 1898 that the “man-eaters of Tsavo” became well known for their almost year long "reign of terror" killing the railroad workers. About 35 men were killed and eaten by these lions. So, we will look for descendants of these man-eaters here and with luck find them :-) Don’t worry, Wild Focus has a 95% survival rate - except….we’ve never taken guests to Tsavo East!Overnight SATAO CAMP (B,L,D)
Days 10/11 - August 22/23
Day 12 - August 24:After our last morning meal (hopefully not due to lion contact) in Tsavo East, we will start our 4 hr extended game drive to change camps. We will make our way to Lumo and once again arrive just in time for lunch. What can one say about Lumo except that the landscape is stunning. This part of Tsavo West is a place of respite. There are special things here that we will be on the lookout for but in the finding, we will be surrounded by 360º of open space, peace and beauty. We will start our game drives after we have allowed our food to digest from lunch.Overnight LION’S BLUFF (B,L,D) + Selected beverages + use of photographic hide
Day 13/14 - August 25/26:Food, unlimited game drives, a pool with a view, a photographic hide and endless views will be plentiful in addition to the wildlife that we will encounter! Our last two days will be spent in the perfect place to relax from a non-stop action-packed safari. You will be free to continue our established pace, or melt into the landscape with a glass of wine in front of the fire overlooking the plains dotted with giraffe, buffalo, elephant, impala, hartebeest, zebra, did-dik, Thomson’s gazelle, lesser kudu and more. This is Africa - the birthplace of mankind. Here, you are at home!Overnight LION’S BLUFF(B,L,D) + Selected beverages + use of photographic hide
Day 13/14 - August 25/26:
Day 15 - August 27:They say that “all good things must come to an end” and so it is with our safari. We will have one more morning game drive followed by a hot breakfast. We depart for Nairobi around 1100hrs and arrive at 1230 hrs. We will be picked up and transferred to the Crowne Plaza Nairobi Airport Hotel for use of day rooms until our evening flights depart. We can relax and prepare for our international flights home. You will be dropped at the airport in time for your departure.(B included only - travel day, meals on own)
We look forward to seeing you on your next Wild Focus Expedition!
- Two Safari Leaders (Jami and Theo)
- Arrival / departure transfers in Nairobi
- Full day disposal on day 2 in Nairobi (i.e. SWT Private, shopping, etc.)
- Transportation and exclusive use of 2 (two) custom safari built 4 x 4 Landcruiser’s with pop-up roof or hatches
- Guaranteed window seat in the Landcruiser
- All Park Entry Fees / Conservation fees to the various National Parks & Game Reserves
- Highly experienced, English-speaking drivers/ guides for the entire safari
- Game Drives as per itinerary
- 02 Nights on full board Accommodation at THE GIRAFFE MANOR (Inclusive: all meals, house wines, soft drinks, house beers, house spirits, laundry, wireless internet access, entrance to the AFEW Giraffe Center, Orchid House dining, boules, croquet and VAT)
- 03 Nights at LEWA SAFARI CAMP
- 03 Nights at ITHUMBA HILL (Inclusive: all meals, house wines, soft drinks, house spirits and VAT)
- 03 Nights at SATAO CAMP (Inclusive: all meals)
- 03 Nights at LION’S BLUFF LODGE (Inclusive: all meals, house wines, beer, gin/vodka, sodas, fresh juices, picnic meals, 1 sundowner, 2 Night game drives, laundry and exclusive use of photo hide for the 3 nights)
- Day rooms CROWNE PLAZA NAIROBI AIRPORT HOTEL
- Mineral water on game drives
- Evacuation Insurance to/from Nairobi by air
- One-way private charter from Wilson to / Lewa Conservancy ( 12-Seater Cessna Caravan)
- One-way private charter from Lewa Conservancy / Ithumba ( 12-Seater Cessna Caravan)
- One-way private charter from Taita Airstrip / Wilson Domestic Airport Nairobi ( 12-Seater Cessna Caravan)
- International flights to/from Nairobi
- Optional activities
- Visa fees
- Telephone calls
- Laundry (unless where specified otherwise)
- Tips (lodge staff, camp staff, driver/guides)
- Travel insurance (highly recommended: see Wild Focus website: https://wildfocusexpeditions.com/travel-insurance/
- Beverages in various lodges/camps (unless specified otherwise)
- Change of itinerary
Our Kenya and Tanzania safaris will be in permanent to semi-permanent tented camps. All of our tents are en suite, are designed to the highest standards, and are comfortable with hot showers and an adjoining toilet. All of our camps will have separate lounge and dining areas which add to the excitement and ambiance of being on safari. It should be noted, however, that there are no fences around our camps, and animals of all sizes are sometimes encountered within the camp boundaries. Please be assured that you will be safe at all times. Our Expeditions Leaders and camp staff will be there to assure your safety.
From May through August, temperatures are very comfortable. Mornings can be quite cool to cold while warming up as the day continues. Nights can be cold and midday temperatures range from 70ºF (20ºC) to 80ºF (26ºC). Our Handbooks provide more detailed information about clothing and trip preparation.
We recommend that our travelers bring an adventurous spirit, as you will often enjoy the closest animal encounters.
Kenya is recognized by paleontologists as the cradle of humankind - the birthplace of humanity. Its fascination lies in the richness and diversity of its natural and cultural history. Wherever you look you find wildlife wonders, majestic landscapes, excitement, adventure and colorful tribes, . It is a photographer’s and adventurer’s paradise. I fell in love with Kenya over twenty five years ago and have deeply experienced its magic and beauty during my travels from the south to the far wild north of the country. Every time I return to Kenya, I know that I am home.
Wild Focus Expeditions provides specialized, small group photography tours. Our photography expeditions are designed to get participants into distinctive, engaging locations around the world at the optimum times for photography. Our photo tours are created by our team of photographers who want to experience and photograph the world's top wildlife, nature and traditional cultures locations.
Our quarterly newsletters are the best way to stay up on the latest news and information for both our current and upcoming expeditions.